Truck driving is a more stressful occupation than many would imagine. Truckers work long hours and are responsible for safely transporting expensive cargo on tight deadlines. The job is physically and mentally demanding, as hours in a truck seat can have a detrimental effect on musculoskeletal health, and safely negotiating the highways takes a high level of concentration and situational awareness.
Over time, the stress of the job can take a toll on truckers’ mental and physical health. Transportation professionals can reduce stress by following these tips:
- Practice breathing exercises on the road – The great thing about deep breathing is that it’s something you can do while you drive without diverting your attention on the road. During your route, periodically take a few minutes to take some deep breaths. You’ll find that it helps you relax and takes some of the stress out of your day.
- Get some exercise – Engage in some exercise while you’re at truck stops or hotels. A good 15-minute walk can help you relieve stress and stay fit. Light weights and other small exercise tools you can keep in your truck can also help you stay fit.
- Use your vacation time – If your company offers vacation time, or if there’s a slow period in your own business, make the most of it to tend to your physical and mental health. Taking a few days off can help you avoid getting burned out. If you travel somewhere for a brief location, let someone else do the driving.
- Stay connected – Life on the road can get lonely. Modern technology can help. Use social media and applications like Skype to stay connected to family and friends.
- Stay comfortable – Nothing can make your life as a trucker more stressful than an uncomfortable or worn-out truck seat. Invest in new custom truck seats that fit your body and which come equipped with features such as ventilation and heating that’ll make those long hours on the road go by faster.
Suburban Seating & Safety provides truck seats and truck accessories to make transportation industry professionals’ lives easier. Shop today to find the best deals on new seats and other gear.