Winter driving can be hazardous, especially for bus drivers. The roads can be slippery, and snow and ice can be unpredictable. As a bus driver, you need to not only drive safely but follow various other bus safety procedures and consider products designed to make driving safer. Tips for doing so include:
Equipping Your Bus for Safety
Being prepared is important, but it is also essential to have working:
- Seat belts: All your bus seats should have functional seat belts to protect your passengers. You may not be able to remove all the hazards from the road, but you can keep people protected with products such as three-point non-retractable shoulder or lap belts.
- Wiper motors: Windshield wipers are very important safety products. Each wiper is controlled by a windshield wiper motor, which can require replacement if the wipers aren’t working. Bad wipers can put you at risk in rainy or snowy conditions.
- Warm seating: Heated seats improve comfort, especially if you live in a very cold climate. They can also help with pain relief, so a long trip is a lot easier on your back. Suburban Seating & Safety carries a line of bus seats, including heated models, for your convenience.
Bus Driving Safety Tips
When driving in winter weather:
- Allow yourself extra space on the roads, in case a vehicle in front of you brakes suddenly; slippery ice and snow take longer to stop on.
- Use your ABS brakes, which improve stopping power, and avoid using cruise control on wet, icy, or snowy roads.
- Traverse bridges and overpasses more carefully because they tend to freeze sooner than other parts of the road.
- Drive safely, whether accelerating or coming to a stop; always plan for extra drive time to a destination during inclement weather.
Training is another important factor. It’s one of the most crucial aspects of school bus safety, where drivers often receive training that prepares them to transport children in snow, sleet, hail, ice, and fog. Regardless of how experienced you are, it’s important to clear ice/snow/frost from your windshield, headlamps, and mirrors and to periodically check your tires.
Last, if you require new or replacement bus seats, windshield wiper motors, or seat belts, order them from Suburban Seating & Safety or call us for assistance today.