Whether you drive a truck as a team with another person or are a passenger on a bus, you should always wear your seatbelt. There have been countless studies and research projects conducted that have demonstrated how seatbelts can save lives.
This is just one of the many reasons why it is important to wear your seatbelt. Other reasons you will want to buckle up include:
- Prevents you from becoming a flying human projectile. Without your seatbelt on, you can go flying out of the seat.
- Keeps you in your seat in the event of a crash or rollover. The seatbelt prevents you from slamming your head and body into the dashboard or windshield.
- Protects you from secondary injuries during an accident. Serious injuries are often the result of secondary injuries sustained after being ejected from the seat.
- Ensures the airbag safety system protects you. The airbag system in vehicles is designed to provide crash protection, but you have to be wearing your seatbelt. Otherwise, they could do more harm than good.
- Wearing a seatbelt is the law. All states have seatbelt laws requiring the driver and passengers to wear them. If you don’t, and the driver is stopped for another traffic violation, the law enforcement officer could issue a ticket.
Crash Injury and Death Statistics
According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control), in 2015, there were a total of 22,441 passengers who died because they were not wearing their seatbelts. That same year, there were more than 2.5 million passengers and drivers treated in hospital emergency rooms after being injured in a vehicle accident due to non-seatbelt usage.1
The easiest way to prevent deaths and injuries while driving or riding as a passenger is to remember to always put on your seatbelt. For assistance in selecting custom truck seats with seatbelts for your truck, bus, or any other commercial vehicle, please feel free to contact Suburban Seating & Safety at 1-844-SAS-SEAT today!