Semis represent a big investment for independent truck drivers and trucking companies alike. With the average cost of a new tractor-trailer ranging from $140,000 to $175,000, it’s little wonder that truck owners take great pains to keep their investment mechanically sound and looking great. Often, they look for the best semi-truck seats so drivers are comfortable and protected against strain and the health effects of sitting all day long.
One of the most important investments truck owners can make is purchasing new semi-truck seats for their vehicle. Good truck seats improve driver performance and help drivers avoid developing debilitating back conditions that can cut short their careers. Truckers face a higher risk of neck and back pain, arthritis, and deep vein thrombosis. Other health risks include poor circulation, obesity, sleep apnea, hypertension, high cholesterol, heart disease, stroke, and a host of other interconnected problems.
If you’re on the fence concerning whether to upgrade to new truck seats, such as air ride seats for semi-trucks from Suburban Seating & Safety, consider these reasons why new truck seats are the smart move:
- Resale Value– At some point, most truck owners will want to pass their truck on to another driver, but they want to get a good price for it. New buyers will check out the seats of any truck they consider buying, so truck owners will be able to command higher prices for their vehicle if they ensure it has comfortable and attractive seats at the time of resale.
- Personal Satisfaction– Truckers spend a lot of time behind the wheel. They’ll enjoy that time much more if they’re sitting in a clean and attractive seat that provides needed support for their lower backs and necks. Seats that are worn or have cracks in the upholstery just aren’t very appealing, especially if you’re going to be spending eight to ten hours per day in them.
- Health and Safety– Comfortable drivers are healthy and safe drivers. Long hours sitting in a truck seat can have a negative impact on driver health if drivers’ backs and necks aren’t properly supported. Older seats or seats that have been damaged or worn out simply don’t give drivers the support they need, resulting in chronic lower back pain. Drivers that are distracted by pain are more likely to make errors. The discomfort from pain can also make drivers more susceptible to road rage. Installing ergonomic new semi-truck air seats can keep drivers efficient and keep them safe.
- Customization – Find a seat that suits your drivers’ work environment. Some have cloth materials, while others are covered in leather. Air suspension provides stability in rough conditions and keeps a driver calm and focused. For example, the Bostrom Baja Mid Back Truck Seat has a built-in non-isolating scissor-type air suspension and the Bostrom Wide Ride+Serta® high-back seats have a specialized isolating air suspension, a gel memory foam for cooling, a heater or heater/ventilation system, and the BackCycler® system, which inflates and deflates the lumbar region to prevent pain and stiffness.
- Replacement Options – Replacement truck seats can be used to change out passenger seats, as truckers are often not allowed to carry passengers. Replace the passenger side seat with a different model to reduce noise. A full day’s work will come with more peace and quiet, and drivers can better focus on their jobs.
Best Truck Seat Features
For maximum comfort and support, look for truck seats with:
- Lumbar support
- Dual, adjustable armrests
- Quality materials
Semi-truck seat cushions are equally, if not more, important. Top-quality seats often have built-in cushions with industry-leading designs and materials. A proper cushion can have a similar effect as a supportive mattress. It’s just as well—drivers spending 8-10 hours a day on the job use their semi-truck air ride seats about just as much as a mattress.
Memory foam and air seat cushions are best but, in addition to finding the best driver seat for a semi-truck, it’s important to exercise healthy habits such as stopping for a walk every now and then. Occasionally shift your position while sitting and keep your feet flat on the floor, with your hips level with or a little higher than your knees.
Suburban Seating & Safety carries a wide range of seats, including custom truck seats, as well as truck interior accessories. Check out our line of brand-name air ride seats for semi-trucks and accessories for the best semi-truck seats. To learn more or purchase the comfortable, ergonomic seat you’ve been searching for, contact us today.